Adafruit Small 31 mm 8x8 Ultra Bright Square White LED Matrix with Backpack
• 64 ultra bright white square LEDs packed into a compact 31 mm matrix
• Stylish square LEDs are often clearer and easier to distinguish patterns from a distance
• Header pins allow this breakout to be attached to any breadboard for easy wiring
• Only uses four pins and is controlled using I2C
• Up to eight can be linked together
• Requires 5 V power
• Requires some light soldering
• Has mounting holes, great for permanent fixturesWhat is the Adafruit Small 31mm 8x8 Ultra Bright Square White LED Matrix with Backpack?
This Adafruit 8x8 LED I2C Matrix offers an easy solution to a complex problem of handling a large range of LEDs individually and is a great way to display anything from images, to scrolling text. It can even be used to make a Pong game using an Arduino development board. This breakout board supplies you with 64 ultra bright white square LEDs.
A matrix is an assortment of a large number of LEDs which have been connected in such a way you can power a single LED, or a range of LEDs by powering certain points. in the case of an 8x8, it is expected a total of 16 pins will be used.
This matrix is supplied with a backpack which uses a method called multiplexing. Instead of using eight positive connections, and eight negative connections, a driver chip controls all 16 pins while communicating to your development board using only four pins: positive, negative, data, and clock.
Convenient screw holes in the PCB make mounting this breakout into your project easy.
How to get the most out of your project?
The matrix itself measures only 31 mm x 31 mm, meaning your small projects can stay small. The header pins allow for quick and easy attachment to a breadboard allowing for all your prototyping and testing needs without messy wires. The header pins do not come attached allowing you to attach wires instead - this is great for more permanent application.
Ultra bright LEDs may come across as a bit too bright, which is why there is a 16 step dim function available for the LEDs. Get this project up and running using only four pins, in comparison to using similar matrices consisting of 16 connecting pins. Adafruit have provided details as to how to Prepare and Use this matrix, they have also generated a Dedicated Library to ensure maximum control over your LEDs.
Why not tell us and our B2B sales team about your specific business needs and expectations?
At Maplin, we’re always looking for innovations and technology that can help your business work more efficiently.
With a dedicated business team and special services available only to business customers, you can access our electronics and technology solutions through our wide network of over 200 stores, our website with more than 20,000 products or though your personal account manager over the phone.
Working with organisations for nearly 30 years, Maplin offers a nationwide range of benefits to our business users:
- 30 day EOM credit account
- volume discount pricing
- online and in-store use of account
- one-to-one account management
- bespoke product sourcing and branding
- free delivery on orders over £10
- scheduled and forward ordering service
Contact our business team on
0333 400 9740 to open an account or discuss your business needs.
To receive your free copy of the Maplin Catalogue just call 0333 400 9740.