Mindsets Smart Wire Demo Electronic Kit
• Demonstrate how smart wire works
• Smart wire changes shape when a small current is passed through it - see what changes you can observe
• Learn about material properties and how electricity can change them
• Comes with one wire and 10 pieces to construct a circuit with
• Can be used to demonstrate smart alloys or shape memory alloys from the GCSE syllabus
• Suitable for ages 11+ with adult supervision
• Required two AA batteries (included)What can I show with this?
Learn about this fascinating material. Smart wire looks like normal wire but when electricity is run through it it changes size. The kit (PAC SW2) comes with everything you need to demonstrate this weird but wonderful effect. The kit comes with batteries included. When they run out you can replace them with two AA batteries (Order Code L43AL
). How do smart metals work?
The metal wire is made from smart material. When it’s left alone it acts like a normal metal wire, however when you run a current through it the wire shortens producing a tugging force. This smart metal remembers its original shape and returns to it when the current stops. The smart wire works by contracting when it is heated. The wire has a relatively high electrical resistance so when an electrical current is passed through it this is enough to generate the heat required.
|Number of included parts
|Number of models that can be made
|What can be made?
||Smart wire demo
|Computer system requirements
|Age group, if specified
||11+ with supervision
|Power supply requirements
||2 x AA batteries
Why not tell us and our B2B sales team about your specific business needs and expectations?
At Maplin, we’re always looking for innovations and technology that can help your business work more efficiently.
With a dedicated business team and special services available only to business customers, you can access our electronics and technology solutions through our wide network of over 200 stores, our website with more than 20,000 products or though your personal account manager over the phone.
Working with organisations for nearly 30 years, Maplin offers a nationwide range of benefits to our business users:
- 30 day EOM credit account
- volume discount pricing
- online and in-store use of account
- one-to-one account management
- bespoke product sourcing and branding
- free delivery on orders over £10
- scheduled and forward ordering service
Contact our business team on
0333 400 9740 to open an account or discuss your business needs.
To receive your free copy of the Maplin Catalogue just call 0333 400 9740.