Raspberry Pi Board and Starter Kit
• The operating system includes LXDE desktop GUI, Midori web browser plus lots of development tools
• Full 1080p HD video output via HDMI
• RCA (phono) video output plus 3.5mm audio output socket for connecting with older TVs
• On board General Purpose Input/Output pins (GPIO) to be used with break-out boards (not included) to connect with electronic circuits
• Twin USB ports and an RJ45 10/100 network socket add connectivity with many external devices
• To help you learn computer programming Python and Scratch programming languages are included with the operating systemWith everything you need to get started the Raspberry Pi Board and Starter Kit is just what you need to start off an exciting new hobby. The kit provides the perfect way to begin experimenting and developing with the Raspberry Pi. It is an ideal way to get youngsters enthused about computer programming and development. Can be used as a low powered mini PC at a fraction of the cost of a full priced computer
What Is It?
The Raspberry Pi is a computer the size of a deck of playing cards. With your television as a monitor, you can use it like a desktop computer to browse the web, it plays HD video too, so you can also use it as a media centre. But what it is really designed for is computer programming, the OS includes Python and Scratch programming environments which allow users to learn and improve their programming skills. The board has GPIO pins that can be connected to a variety electronic modules, sensors, motors or other control systems and software can be created to perform tasks.
Who Built It?
The Raspberry Pi Foundation developed this little device to encourage people to learn to tinker with computing, both in software (there's plenty of free material available for the Pi to help you learn more about programming, whether you're a total beginner or already pretty experienced), and in hardware.
What Can I Do With It?
Your Raspberry Pi can get to work as the brains in a robot, as a home-automation platform, drive a motor, or operate sensors and displays there's a huge community of modders and hackers out there. For more ideas on what to do with a Raspberry Pi, visit www.raspberrypi.org and join in!
• Raspberry PI Model B
• 4GB Class 6 Transcend SD Car (Pre-loaded with the latest pre-approved OS)
• Mains Powered 4 Port USB Hub (Increases the number of available ports to 5)
• N150 Wi-Fi USB Nano Dongle
• USB Keyboard
• USB Optical 3-Button Scroll Mouse
• 1.5m USB A to Micro B Cable with Gold-Plated Connectors
• 1.5m HDMI A to HDMI A Cable with Gold-Plated Connectors (To connect your Raspberry Pi to your HD TV/Monitor)
Optional break out boards are available from Maplin to help you connect your Pi prototyping materials for electronic circuits, for example order code N95NQ.
|CPU||Broadcom BCM2835 SOC 700 MHz ARM1176JZF-S core|
|GPU||Broadcom VideoCore IV|
|Memory||512Mb (shared with GPU)|
|USB||2 Integrated A sockets|
|Video||Composite RCA (PAL & NTSC) HDMI (1.3, 1.4) and DSI socket|
|Audio||HDMI and 3.5mm Jack|
|Storage||SD Card slot (Kit supplied with 4GB SD)|
|Power||Micro USB 5V 700mA for the Pi board. Kit supplied with 2.1A PSU|
|Dimensions||85.60 x 53.98mm|
|OS||Kit supplied with Wheezy Linux, certain other Linux, FreeBSD and RISC operating system could be used|
|I/O||16 pin GPIO customisable pin array|
|Input||Standard UK USB keyboard and scroll mouse|
|USB||4 Port USB Hub with power supply|
|Power||2 port USB PSU supplied with micro usb cable|
|WI-FI||N150 nano dongle|
|Supplied with HDMI Cable|
ReviewsWrite a Review
10 of 42 Reviews
A great little package, good to get started as everything works together. Couldn't get wifi to work initially - kept dropping out and reconnecting every second. Upgraded raspian using wired internet connection and problem solved. Note that this package does not come with NOOBS on the SD card at the moment so no choice of OS but raspian is great for newbies. If you're not sure what NOOBS is see the raspberry pi website. Nice one Maplin
A must buy for anyone looking to buy a Raspberry pi. Comes with everything you need and is very easy to set up. Fantastic product!
Great kit, Contains everything you will need, But I have spotted one slight problem, The supplied HDMI lead does not support CEC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#CEC, so you won't be able to control your RPI using the TV remote control (if your tv supports it). If you use a different, higher quality lead then CEC works fine.
This little compact device is amazing does what I want it to and can display home videos that's HD in brilliant HD
Great kit. Took about 10 minutes to set up and get going. If you're new the the Raspberry Pi then it's a must, with the OS image pre-loaded on the CS card, so there is no need to download anything from the Raspberry Pi website and no installation or compatibility problems. Highly recommended.
Superb concept , well executed and almost infinitely adaptable. Hands on experience PI making will hopefully bring out the best in another generation of engineers and technicians... Anyhow, building your own tasty Raspberry FLAN ( Flexible Layout Area Network ) can be quite enjoyable too!
an really innovitive british product
The Raspberry Pi board is of course excellent and nothing much else needs to be said about it. However, the kit is let down by the included peripherals. I had no end of crashes and corrupted memory cards with the included power supply. Replacing it with a genuine Raspberry Pi PSU completely solved the problem. Even an iPhone charger provided better stability than with the bundled PSU, but iPhone chargers aren't intended for continuous operation. The bundled HDMI cable was also of questionable quality and didn't work with CEC, which allows you to control RaspBMC with the TV remote. Wiring for CEC is mandatory in the HDMI specification so the included HDMI cable was not HDMI compliant. Both these issues caused me to waste quite a lot of time debugging and could have been prevented by having better quality accessories in the kit.
This is a really exciting piece of kit. The Pi is generating a lot of interest in education as a great introduction to hardware and programming. This kit is spot on if you are not sure what to do with it but want to try a lot of different things. My only slight niggle is there is no RCA cable, but these are easy to get hold of anyway. It works straight out of the box. The only problem I have had so far is with my Virgin wifi, which keeps disconnecting. A few slight niggles like this have their benefits too as an introduction to the real world, as it helps you learn and there is plenty of advice on boards on the net.
I love my raspberry pi... its got me back interested in programming again which I haven't done for many years.
QuestionsBe the first to ask a question
0 of 0 Questions
|Item code||Item name||Quantity||Price|
|R45PI||Raspberry Pi Board and Starter Kit||(100+)||£59.99|
|R45PI||Raspberry Pi Board and Starter Kit||(25+)||£63.99|
|R45PI||Raspberry Pi Board and Starter Kit||(10+)||£67.99|
|R45PI||Raspberry Pi Board and Starter Kit||(5+)||£71.99|
|R45PI||Raspberry Pi Board and Starter Kit||(1+)||£79.99|
Why not tell us and our B2B sales team about your specific business needs and expectations?
Offering a 1-2-1 personal account management service each representative is ableto help you ensure the service from Maplin meets your approval on all levels everytime.
As well as being able to help you benefit from volume quotations and bespoke productsourcing our team also offers a wide range of business services including:
- 30 Day EOM credit terms available on application
- FREE delivery on all orders above £35
- A range of guaranteed delivery services to ensure your goods are with you to meetthose tight deadlines
- Proforma Invoices
- Scheduled and forward ordering system
- Product branding and bespoke product sourcing available on application
- Online and in-store account use
- 5% discount for all schools and colleges
- 7% discount for all universities
- Sample product service - available on application
- Supplier cross-referencing and BOM quotations
As you can see, our range of services is comprehensive and built to service everytype of business need. We are committed to providing your business with 1st classsales and customer service.
Our aim is to establish mutually beneficial long-term relationships where our customersreceive a high class of reliable service.
Please contact us on 0844 557 6000 to discuss your business needs with your individualaccount manager.