• Centralise and back up your digital contents, which you can share easily across platforms and devices
• Diskless model – no hard drives are installed in the two bays available, with each bay able to hold up to 8TB
• Over 107MB/s read and 91MB/s write speeds, under a RAID 1 configuration
• Automatically back up your Windows or Mac computer to this NAS drive
• Keep files or backups stored on the NAS safe with backups to a USB, the cloud or to another Synology NAS and RAID configurations available
• DLNA certified media server, so you can stream music, pictures and videos to DLNA compliant devices without pre-configuration
• Number of different apps for Apple iOS and Android devices, such as DS file for browsing and uploading files
• Backup stored files to Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure, hicloud and other cloud services
• Two years limited manufacturer warranty
• Manufacturer part number: DS216playSpecial Features
• Install ‘Surveillance Station’ to remotely record and view footage from IP cameras paired with this NAS drive
• Front LEDs with four brightness settings, so you can choose the most comfortable and appropriate level for you
• Consumes little energy and can be scheduled to power on or off
• On the go 4K video transcoding to 1080p, allows you to play videos even if they aren't natively possible on your deviceMultimedia-optimised NAS server with 4K UHD transcoding
This Synology DS216play is a feature-rich NAS drive with powerful multimedia processing and is capable of streaming 4K ultra HD content and transcoding it to 1080p in real-time. So you can enjoy them on most devices even if they are not in a supported format. The DS216play has a 1.5GHz dual-core CPU and 1GB RAM, which delivers up to 107MB/s read and 91MB/s write speeds. No hard drives are pre-installed into the two bays, although you can add up to 8TB in each bay*, for a potential storage size of 16TB.
The Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) is the web-based OS that comes with every Synology NAS. The built-in package centre lets you download and install the packages/apps that fit your unique needs. Whether you want to share files on the cloud, have downloads be automatically started for you or set up a VPN environment, this can all be done with a few clicks. Synology DSM helps you maximise productivity and keep you in complete control of your personal cloud, with minimal fuss.Can I automatically back up my computer to this NAS?
Both Windows and Mac computers can be backed up to this Synology NAS drive. Windows computers can use the ‘Cloud Station’ application that is available within the package centre – which also lets you sync files across multiple devices and other cloud services. Mac users, on the other hand, can use ‘Time Machine’ to back up their system to the NAS.
Losing any files, whether they’re backups or important files, can be frustrating and there are a number of ways you can avoid that. You can set up RAID configurations with RAID 1 available. You can also use the Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR), which is an automated RAID system that maximises the use of your hard drive while providing you redundancy.
Additionally, you can specify backups to external sources, such as an external USB drive, to another Synology NAS or rsync compatible server or to cloud services, such as Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure and hicloud. This provides you with off-site backups of your data, to prevent loss of data caused by any unexpected damage.What apps can I use with this NAS drive?
Use the ‘QuickConnect’ package to configure this NAS drive for internet access with minimal effort. Once set up, you can access and control your NAS drive through the web and various mobile apps, including DS photo, DS audio and DS video for multimedia access, DS download, DS file and DS cloud for file download/access/synchronisation.
There are an abundant amount of tools that you can use to manage your multimedia files with ease and convenience. ‘Photo Station’, ‘Audio Station’ and ‘Video Station’ provide you with platforms to build a seamless entertainment hub without the worry of extra monthly fees for storage. ‘Surveillance Station’ is another package which lets you remotely record and monitor footage from IP cameras paired with the NAS drive*. Through the web browser or mobile device (DS cam) you can watch live footage, schedule recordings and playback recordings.Can I play my media files stored on the NAS to other devices?
The Synology DS216play is a certified DLNA media server, so you can stream music, pictures and videos to DLNA-compliant devices, which are on the same local network, without pre-configuration. This allows you to enjoy your content on smart TVs, speakers, media players, games consoles and more, with support for Samsung TV, Roku players, Apple TV and Google Chromecast.
*For a list of products that are compatible with the DS216play, be that hard drives or IP cameras, please click here