For some bright sparks out there, there’s nothing better than patching up an old appliance or building a gizmo from scratch. That’s why we carry any components you might need, whether you’re a learner, an experienced hobbyist, or a professional.
Active, Passive and Electro-Magnetic Components
Although electronics change rapidly, most of the basic components have remained principally the same for some time. Active components require power to function and passive components don’t, but to get started on most electronics projects you will need a mains transformer if you want to take power externally. We have a selection of mains transformers at different voltages, to ensure that your project will run smoothly. Alternatively, you could use battery power, in which case you should take a look at our battery clips and boxes.
We have a wide range of individual components such as:
- Resistors - used to reduce current flow, for example to an LED light as too much current could break an LED
- Capacitors – store energy and return it into the circuit, so that it can maintain power for a short time after being removed from the mains
- Semiconductors – which have replaced vacuum tubes in various applications including in amplification
- Switches – which you can use to switch a circuit ‘on’ or ‘off’
- Transformers – used to adjust voltages within an electrical circuit
- Fuses – provide protection by stopping high currents of electricity to devices
- Motors – turns electricity into mechanical energy to produce movement
- LED’s – low energy lights used in a variety of applications
Your electronics projects also need a base to start from, that’s why we stock a selection of breadboards and project boxes. A breadboard is a construction base, used to prototype electronic circuits – the beauty being that you can use one to learn the basics, but once you understand the principles your imagination is the only limit. A project box is used to house a completed circuit within a safe shell, so that the wires and components are no longer on display.
3D Printing has taken the world by storm, and whether you’re a designer excited to prototype a 3D model or simply interested in having fun and experimenting, we have a selection of products you should check out – such as the Velleman K8200 3D printer kit. Try out this exciting new technology for yourself, and you’ll find that there is a huge amount of information and instruction out there to make just about anything with these machines.
Want to learn how to build your own Bluetooth controlled robot? For those looking to learn new skills in electronics, we have a wide range of the best books to expand your knowledge. Whether you’re looking to build your first circuit board, or to learn advanced programming for the popular Raspberry Pi range, you can always find the information you need with us.