Adafruit 1.8 18-bit Colour TFT Shield with microSD Slot and Joystick
• 1.8"" diagonal TFT display with 128x160 colour pixels can display full 18-bit colour• Ultra-low-dropout 3.3V regulator and a 3/5V level shifter built in so its safe to use with 5V Arduinos• MicroSD card holder - you can easily load full colour bitmaps from a FAT16/FAT32 formatted microSD card (not included)• 5 way navigation switch - up, down, left, right, select• If you'd like to add the navigation switch, it uses Analog 3
• 2 white LED backlight, transistor connected
• Defaults to 'on' but can be connected to a digital pin for PWM or simply turning off
• Comes with header, requires soldering!This lovely little shield is the best way to add a small, colourful and bright display to any project. We took our popular 1.8" TFT breakout board and remixed it into an Arduino shield complete with microSD card slot and a 5-way joystick navigation switch (with a nice plastic knob)! Since the display uses only 4 pins to communicate and has its own pixel-addressable frame buffer, it can be used easily to add a display & interface without exhausting the memory or pins.
The 1.8" display has 128x160 colour pixels. Unlike the low cost "Nokia 6110" and similar LCD displays, which are CSTN type and thus have poor colour and slow refresh, this display is a true TFT! The TFT driver (ST7735R) can display full 18-bit colour (262,144 shades!). And the LCD will always come with the same driver chip so there's no worries that your code will not work from one to the other.
The shield has the TFT display soldered on (it uses a delicate flex-circuit connector) as well as a ultra-low-dropout 3.3V regulator and a 3/5V level shifter so its safe to use with 5V Arduinos. We also had some space left over so we placed a microSD card holder (so you can easily load full colour bitmaps from a FAT16/FAT32 formatted microSD card) and a 5-way navigation switch (left, right, up, down, select).
If you just want to display text, shapes, lines, pixels, etc the shield uses pins 13, 11, 10 and 8. If you'd like to add the navigation switch, it uses Analogue 3 (all 5 switches are connected using a clever resistor trick to permit all the switches to share one analogue pin). For the microSD card, you'll also give up Digital 12 and 4.
Comes as a fully assembled and tested shield with the display, microSD card holder and nav switch with knob as well as a stick of 0.1" header. To finish up and use, you will need to solder on the header onto the shield PCB, a quick 10 minute task.
Why not tell us and our B2B sales team about your specific business needs and expectations?
At Maplin, we’re always looking for innovations and technology that can help your business work more efficiently.
With a dedicated business team and special services available only to business customers, you can access our electronics and technology solutions through our wide network of over 200 stores, our website with more than 20,000 products or though your personal account manager over the phone.
Working with organisations for nearly 30 years, Maplin offers a nationwide range of benefits to our business users:
- 30 day EOM credit account
- volume discount pricing
- online and in-store use of account
- one-to-one account management
- bespoke product sourcing and branding
- free delivery on orders over £10
- scheduled and forward ordering service
Contact our business team on
0333 400 9740 to open an account or discuss your business needs.
To receive your free copy of the Maplin Catalogue just call 0333 400 9740.