Adafruit Contact-less Infrared Thermopile Sensor Breakout
• Measures temperature via the subjects emitted IR waves• An embedded thermopile sensor generates a (small) voltage dependant on IR levels, which can be used to measure temperature• Measurement taken over an area so can be used to work out average temperatures• Works with 3 to 5V logic - no logic level shifting needed• Includes a small piece of 0.1" breakaway header so you can easily solder to and use this sensor on a breadboard
• i2c compatible interface• 20mm long by 20mm wideUnlike all the other temperature sensors we have, this breakout has a really cool IR sensor from TI that can measure the temperature of an object without touching it! Simply point the sensor towards what you want to measure and it will detect the temperature by absorbing IR waves emitted. The embedded thermopile sensor generates a very very small voltage depending on how much IR there is, and using some math, that micro voltage can be used to calculate the temperature. It also takes the measurement over an area so it can be handy for determining the average temperature of something.
This sensor comes as a ultra-small 0.5mm pitch BGA, too hard to solder by hand. So we stuck it on an easy-to-work-with breakout board. The sensor works with 3 to 5V logic so it requires no logic level shifting. There are two address pins and using a funky method of connecting the pins you can have up to 8 TMP006s connected to one i2c bus (see the datasheet table 1 for the connections). We also include a small piece of 0.1" breakaway header so you can easily solder to and use this sensor on a breadboard. Two mounting holes make it easy to attach to an enclosure.
Of course, we wouldn't just hand you a datasheet and wish you luck, theres an easy-to-use Arduino library with an example that will have you up and running in 5 minutes. The code can also be ported to any microcontroller with i2c support, the hardest math part has already been taken care of.
The nice folks at Adafruit have even knocked up an Arduino library click here
Why not tell us and our B2B sales team about your specific business needs and expectations?
At Maplin, we’re always looking for innovations and technology that can help your business work more efficiently.
With a dedicated business team and special services available only to business customers, you can access our electronics and technology solutions through our wide network of over 200 stores, our website with more than 20,000 products or though your personal account manager over the phone.
Working with organisations for nearly 30 years, Maplin offers a nationwide range of benefits to our business users:
- 30 day EOM credit account
- volume discount pricing
- online and in-store use of account
- one-to-one account management
- bespoke product sourcing and branding
- free delivery on orders over £10
- scheduled and forward ordering service
Contact our business team on
0333 400 9740 to open an account or discuss your business needs.
To receive your free copy of the Maplin Catalogue just call 0333 400 9740.