Adafruit Electret Microphone Amplifier - MAX9814 with Auto Gain Control
• The default 'max gain' is 60dB, but can be set to 40dB or 50dB by jumpering the Gain pin to VCC or ground• You can change the Attack/Release ratio, from the default 1:4000 to 1:2000 or 1:500• The output from the amp is about 2Vpp max on a 1.25V DC bias, so it can be easily used with any Analog/Digital converter that is up to 3.3V input
• If you want to pipe it into a Line Input, just use a 1uF blocking capacitor in seriesThis fancy microphone amplifier module is a step above the rest, with built in automatic gain control. The AGC in the amplifier means that nearby 'loud' sounds will be quieted so they don't overwhelm & 'clip' the amplifier, and even quiet, far-away sounds will be amplified.This amplifier is great for when you want to record or detect audio in a setting where levels change and you don't want to have to tweak the amplifier gain all the time. The chip at the heart of this amp is the MAX9814 (with it's datasheet in the downloads tab), and has a few options you can configure with the breakout.The default 'max gain' is 60dB, but can be set to 40dB or 50dB by jumpering the Gain pin to VCC or ground. You can change the Attack/Release ratio, from the default 1:4000 to 1:2000 or 1:500. The output from the amp is about 2Vpp max on a 1.25V DC bias, so it can be easily used with any Analog/Digital converter that is up to 3.3V input. If you want to pipe it into a Line Input, just use a 1uF blocking capacitor in series. For audio-reactive projects, we suggest using an FFT driver library found here
Which can take the audio input and 'translate' it into frequencies. with an electret mic
pre-soldered on, and a small piece of header. Adafruits tutorial will get you started
with using and testing the microphone amplifier and you can check out their general-purpose microphone amplifier tutorial for other project ideas and code
Why not tell us and our B2B sales team about your specific business needs and expectations?
At Maplin, we’re always looking for innovations and technology that can help your business work more efficiently.
With a dedicated business team and special services available only to business customers, you can access our electronics and technology solutions through our wide network of over 200 stores, our website with more than 20,000 products or though your personal account manager over the phone.
Working with organisations for nearly 30 years, Maplin offers a nationwide range of benefits to our business users:
- 30 day EOM credit account
- volume discount pricing
- online and in-store use of account
- one-to-one account management
- bespoke product sourcing and branding
- free delivery on orders over £10
- scheduled and forward ordering service
Contact our business team on
0333 400 9740 to open an account or discuss your business needs.
To receive your free copy of the Maplin Catalogue just call 0333 400 9740.