• 10,000 lux light to help combat seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
• Foldable tripod stand and screw holes for wall mounting
• Two fluorescent bulbs offer you 10,000 hours of light
• SAD light measuring 34cm x 48cm x 8cm (HxWxD)
• Replacement bulbs available (order code N37HX)What is Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)?
Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) or ‘winter depression’ is linked to reduced exposure to sunlight, which may affect your production of melatonin, serotonin and disrupt your body’s functions and patterns. Melatonin is a hormone that makes you feel sleepy, and serotonin is a hormone that affects your mood, appetite and sleep. Lower serotonin levels are linked to feelings of depression. Your body also uses sunlight to time various important functions, such as waking up, so the lower light levels during winter may disrupt your body clock and lead to symptoms of SAD and general fatigue.
How can the light help combat the effects of SAD?
Using a SAD light for a few hours at a range of 15cm away will help increase your levels of serotonin and decrease your levels of melatonin, this in turn will brighten your mood and make you feel more awake – giving you more energy.
The Maplin SAD light has two fluorescent lights, with offer 10,000 lux light for an incredible 10,000 hours.