Mindsets Muscle Wire Demo Kit
• Demonstrate how smart wire works with a pivoted lever
• Smart wire changes shape when a small current is passed through it - see what changes you can observe
• Learn about material properties and how electricity can change them
• Comes with two wire and lever pieces to construct a circuit
• Can be used to demonstrate smart alloys or shape memory alloys from the GCSE syllabus
• Suitable for ages 11+ with adult supervision
• Requires two 1.5V batteries (not included) for the smart wire experimentWhat does this experiment show?
The muscle wire kit (PAC SW9) is made from two pieces of smart wire connected to a lever either side of the pivot. Put a current through the shorter arm and watch the pointer swing up then try it on the longer arm to see what happens. This experiment is best conducted vertically and requires two 1.5 batteries (not included – Order Codes L43AL
could all be used) and wire to connect to the terminals.What can I demonstrate with this kit?
The metal wire is made from smart material. When it’s left alone it acts like a normal metal wire however when you run a current through it the wire shortens, producing a tugging force. This smart metal remembers its original shape and returns to it when the current stops. The smart wire works by contracting when it is heated. It has a relatively high electrical resistance so when an electrical current is passed through it this is enough to generate the heat required.
| Number of included parts
| Number of models that can be made
| What can be made?
|| Muscle wire demo
| Computer system requirements
| Age group, if specified
| Power supply requirements
|| 2 x 1.5 V batteries
|| 320 mm x 160 mm x 45 mm
Why not tell us and our B2B sales team about your specific business needs and expectations?
At Maplin, we’re always looking for innovations and technology that can help your business work more efficiently.
With a dedicated business team and special services available only to business customers, you can access our electronics and technology solutions through our wide network of over 200 stores, our website with more than 20,000 products or though your personal account manager over the phone.
Working with organisations for nearly 30 years, Maplin offers a nationwide range of benefits to our business users:
- 30 day EOM credit account
- volume discount pricing
- online and in-store use of account
- one-to-one account management
- bespoke product sourcing and branding
- free delivery on orders over £10
- scheduled and forward ordering service
Contact our business team on
0333 400 9740 to open an account or discuss your business needs.
To receive your free copy of the Maplin Catalogue just call 0333 400 9740.