• Create five different experiments with these smart materials
• Smart metal can remember a shape and will return to it when heated - experiment and see what happens
• Five pieces of smart metal to experiment with
• Can be used to demonstrate smart alloys or shape memory alloys from the GCSE syllabus
• Suitable for ages 11+ with adult supervision
• Requires two AA batteries (sold separately – Order Code L43AL) for the smart wire experimentWhat experiments can I create with this kit?
This kit includes five different smart materials for you to experiment and learn with. You will need hot water (about 90 degrees Celsius), cold water and two AA batteries – sold separately Order Code L43AL (a tool to place and remove the wire from the hot water is also recommended). Have fun learning all about some fantastic metals. The kit (PAC SW8) is supplied in a rigid plastic box with the contents labelled.
What is a shape memory alloy?
Smart materials or shape memory alloys are an amazing trick of science. The material can remember a shape so if you change its shape it returns to its original shape when heated. Some materials can even remember more than one shape so they become one when cold then the other as they are heated. They are useful for many different applications from dental braces to glasses and research into use in aircraft and building.
What comes with this kit?
This kit contains the following materials:
• Two way memory spring - drop this spring into hot water then cold to see it open then close
• Memory wire - bend the wire into a v shape then watch as it straightens under hot water
• Superelastic wire - can be pulled to make it longer then release it and it snaps back into shape
• Smart wire - heated by passing an electrical current through the wire (requires two AA batteries –sold separately, Order Code L43AL).Watch the wire contract then remove the electrical current and watch it lengthen to its original size again.
• The smart spring can be heated to move a mass of up to 1kg to a distance up to 10 cm. Amaze yourself with science.