• Centralise and backup your digital contents, which you can share easily across platforms and devices
• Diskless model – no hard drives are installed in the two bays available, with each bay able to hold up to 8TB
• 111.4MB/s read and 87.5MB/s write speeds, under a RAID 1 configuration
• Automatically backup your Windows or Mac computer to this NAS drive
• Keep files or backups stored on the NAS safe with backups to a USB, the cloud or to another Synology NAS and RAID configurations available
• DLNA certified media server, so you can stream music, pictures and videos to DLNA compliant devices without pre-configuration
• Number of different apps for Apple iOS and Android devices, such as DS file for browsing and uploading files
• Backup stored files to Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure, hicloud S3 and other cloud services
• Install Surveillance Station to remotely record and view footage from IP cameras paired with this NAS driveA budget friendly NAS drive that performs well
Designed for home and personal users, this Synology DS215J lets you enjoy effortless data sharing, multimedia streaming and cloud synchronisation, while keeping your data secure. Not pre-installed with any hard drives, you can add up to 8TB* into each of the two bays, for a total storage space of 16TB. A dual core 800MHz processor and 512MB of RAM, help to deliver 111.4MB/s read and 87.5MB/s write speeds. Perfect for homes with multiple users that may want to access the NAS at the same time. The operating system (OS) this uses not only helps to make installing it easy, it also delivers an abundance of feature-rich applications that can enhance the use of the NAS.
The Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) is the web-based OS that comes with every Synology NAS. The built-in package centre lets you download and install the packages/apps that fit your unique needs. Whether you want to share files on the cloud, share pictures on an online album, have downloads be automatically started for you or set up a VPN environment, these can all be done with a few clicks. Synology DSM helps you maximise productivity and keep you in complete control of your personal cloud, with minimal fuss.
Can I automatically backup my computer to this NAS?
Both Windows and Mac computers can be backed up to this Synology NAS drive. Windows computers can use the Cloud Station application that is available within the package centre. Similar to Dropbox, the Cloud Station lets you keep files locally on the computer or on your mobile and then automatically syncs it to the NAS. Mac users can use Time Machine to back up their system to the NAS.
Losing any files, whether they’re backups or important files, can be frustrating and there are a number of ways you can avoid that. You can set up RAID configurations with RAID 1 available. You can also use the Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR), which is an automated RAID system that maximises the use of your hard drive while providing you redundancy.
The other way you can ensure your data isn’t going to be lost forever is to backup to external sources. You can back up the data on the NAS to an external USB device, so you have a locally available backup ready. Alternatively, you can backup to another Synology NAS or rsync compatible server. This option gives you an off-site backup of your data, to prevent loss of data caused by disasters at this Synology NAS’s location. Or you can back up to a cloud service, such as Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure and hicloud S3, which is a readily available off-site solution if you don’t have the ability to backup to different NAS drives.
What apps can I use with this NAS drive?
Configure this NAS drive for accessing over the Internet with minimal effort, through the QuickConnect package. Once setup, you can access and control your NAS drive through the various mobile apps, including DS photo, DS audio and DS video for multimedia access, DS download, DS file and DS cloud for file download/access/synchronisation.
Surveillance Station is a package that can be installed, the software lets you remotely record and monitor footage from IP cameras paired with the NAS drive*. Through the web browser or mobile device (DS cam) you can watch live footage, schedule recordings and playback recordings, so you can protect your home or office remotely.
Can I play my media files stored on the NAS to other devices?
As a certified DLNA media server, once connected to a wireless router, you can stream music, pictures and videos to DLNA-compliant devices without the need for pre-configuration. This gives you the ability to enjoy your media library on the big screen or with better speakers. Through DS video you can even stream your video to a TV through Apple TV, using AirPlay.
*For a list of products that are compatible with the DS215J, be that hard drives or IP cameras, please click here